Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I AM READY FOR A FRESH START...

with the NEW YEAR upon us.  So on the final days of 2009, I will be delivering a few TOP TEN lists.  Thank you all for sticking with me throughout the year.  It has been a pleasure.

My first list is... TOP TEN songs most frequently played on my IPOD during this Holiday Season.

10.)  YOUR EX-LOVER IS DEAD by STARS.  This song was introduced to me by a good friend well over a year ago and has been playing on my ipod nonstop ever since.  I love it.  It's heartfelt, soothing and vindicating.  Not a bad tune for all of you HOPELESS ROMANTICS out there.

9.)  WAKE UP by THE ARCADE FIRE.  I've been listening to this one for quite some time.  The Arcade Fire have always been one of my INDIE favorites.  A couple months ago I was in a theater and the Trailer for "Where the Wild Things Are" came on... And sure enough this song was playing.  I said, "I guess they're mainstream now".  Check it out... It's a great one.

8.)  CHRISTMAS (BABY PLEASE COME HOME) by DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE.  You had to know I was bound to mention some Christmas tunes since it is the season.  I've always loved when one of my favorite artists takes  a swing a Christmas tune.  And Death Cab knocked this one out of the park.  This one could bring a single tear down the face of a statue of JC.

7.)  SMOKERS OUTSIDE THE HOSPITAL DOORS by EDITORS.  I've been rocking out to this track for well for over a year now and for some reason I just can't stop listening to it.  Maybe it's that good.  Yeah, that's it.  It's amazing.  Give it a listen.  Believe me, you will not be disappointed.

6.)  ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU by MARIAH CAREY.  This song is on the soundtrack of one of my favorite Holiday movies, "Love Actually".  Every time it plays I'm as happy as a pig in shit.  This one could make any member of the Islamic Jihad smile.

5.)  CUPID by SAM COOKE.  This one really brings me back.  I'm not sure to when because I was born in the 80's and this song is like 50 years old, but it brings me to a happier time.  This oldie may be the greatest song ever created by a human.  It's a perfect melody for the Holiday Season and feel free to "draw back your bow" on Valentine's Day with this sure fire winner.

4.)  EMPIRE STATE OF MIND by JAY-Z (Featuring ALICIA KEYS).  Honestly, as corny as it sounds, this song makes me feel like anything is possible.  I could climb Kilimanjaro listening to this one.  I know the radio has overplayed the SHIT out of this track, but I don't care... it gets better every time I hear it.

3.)  LISZTOMANIA by PHOENIX.  Phoenix may be the best band to drop onto the scene this year.  You may know them best from their hit "1901" which plays during every Cadillac commercial.  That's a serious payday... Congrats dudes.  I saw them live at "The Greek" in a LA a few months back and the show was awesome.  If you get the chance to see them live... DO IT.  Otherwise you'll regret it later.

2.)  CHRISTMAS IN HOLLIS by RUN DMC.  By far my all time favorite Christmas tune.  This one first caught my ear while watching the original "DIE HARD" many years ago.  You can't go wrong with RUN DMC... those guys are LEGENDS.  Period.  "It's Christmas time in Hollis, Queens; Mom's cooking chicken and collared greens!"  Unbelievable track.

1.)  JUST BREATHE by PEARL JAM.  Ever since their debut album "TEN" landed in my lap back in 1992 I've been following these guys religiously.  Their tunes have continued to transcend the industry.  The honesty in Eddie Vedder's voice on this track is humbling to say the least.  Please give this one a listen as soon as possible.  It may change your life.

Honorable Mentions: A Dustland Fairytale by THE KILLERS, Can You Tell by RA RA RIOT, Kings and Queens by 30 SECONDS TO MARS, 4th Chamber by THE GZA, Cinnamon by THE LONG WINTERS and Manhattan by KINGS OF LEON.  ENJOY.

No comments:

Post a Comment