Thursday, January 7, 2010

I AM GETTING OLD...

My birthday was this past Sunday.  I spent it relaxing, watching football and grilling.  All I wanted for my birthday was a win from the NEW YORK JETS, which would ensure them a spot in the PLAYOFFS.  Well, they gave it to me in a big way by destroying the Cincinnati Bengals 37-0.  Sweet.  Life was good that day.  Now they have a rematch with them this Saturday in the Playoffs and anyone who knows anything about football knows it's extremely difficult to defeat a team two weeks in a row.  Regardless of what happens, I will be in their corner all the way.  Go J-E-T-S!!! Jets, Jets, Jets!!!

I remember when birthdays were a big deal.  At 13, you were pumped because it's your first year as a teenager and the first time you'll spend an entire summer first basing with another immature adolescent in a cemetery.  Then... Sweet 16 parties... You can drive... And 2nd basing is a delight (maybe more for you advanced clowns... ie ME).  And 18 made you feel like an adult cause you could buy smokes for your mom, but still couldn't drink legally... Although I'm sure you got wasted and may have even gotten laid.   Remember when your turned 21 and you took a shot for every year of your life?  And consequently you were too drunk later on to get some cheeks?  I on the other hand, was tossing shots over my shoulder like a pussy.  Then at 25, you could finally rent a car on your own to drive to Las Vegas and lose control of your already dwindling finances.  Now, at the tender age of 29, it has become just another day.

So my last year of my 20's is before me and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous.  But that's natural, I guess.  I always figured by the time I was 30, I would have it all figured out.  Now staring down the barrel of the BIG 3-0, I realize I'm far from it.  But hey, I'm not 30 yet.

Most of my friends are married or engaged and the ones that aren't are well on their way.  The married guys are either expecting children or changing diapers as we speak.  The engaged ones are sitting back watching their wives-to-be plan their weddings.  That's some REAL LIFE shit right there.  I'm over here planning where to watch the JETS game this Saturday.

A few weeks back I took a trip to COLORADO to visit my best friend Will, his wife, and my GODSON CHASE.  I recall a few years ago when Will and his wife (then girlfriend) were so happy.  They had just moved to Colorado.  They bought their first house together.  They could drink and hang out.  They would make dinner and simply enjoy being around one another.  Then Will poetically asked his wife for her hand in marriage and she accepted.  Everything was perfect.  After being there for a few days I came to the conclusion that not much has changed.  They're still happy... Maybe happier now than I've ever seen them.  The only difference is they have added a beautiful baby boy to their family... and they're a bit more tired than usual.  I've always admired the both of them, but sitting in their living room by myself one night in the quiet house, I became envious of their life together.  The lesson here is: Once good people who know how to enjoy their lives; always good people who know how to enjoy their lives... No matter what changes may come.

I'm a SINGLE man.  I don't really worry about that as much as I do about my career.  Maybe I should since my mom said to me the other night, "You better hurry up honey, cause the window is closing on you meeting someone without kids."  I laughed and said, "Yeah, okay Ma."  Who knows?  Maybe she's right.  But right now, I'm not concerned with my personal life.  I spend most of my time wondering... Will I make it?  Am I working hard enough?  Is success on the horizon?  Or am I just waiting for the impending doom in a life of MEDIOCRITY?  Being average sucks.  I'm just doing everything within my power to avoid a situation where I have to head back with my tail between my legs like so many others that have come before me.

"My name's Keadly, Keadly Richerson.  Last week I turned 29.  I wasn't ready for it.  I haven't done anything yet.  So I made this deal with myself.  This is the year I make my MARK."  That's a little quote from 1985's "VISION QUEST" with my name and age substituted in there instead of the 18 year old character Louden Swain's (played by Matthew Modine).  I used to say it all the time, but this year... I MEAN IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment