Thursday, January 21, 2010

I AM OFF...

To INDIANAPOLIS this weekend to watch my beloved JETS play the COLTS in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.  These great franchises have met before.  In Super Bowl III, the Jets quarterback Joe Namath predicted a victory over the Colts (then in Baltimore) and brought it home to New York.  The Jets won 16-7 down in Miami.  That was 1969... and the last time the Jets were in the Super Bowl.  It's also a rematch of this year's week 16 match-up, where the JETS won 29-15.  Everyone places an asterisk next to that victory because the Colts pulled most of their marquee players, including Peyton Manning, during the 3rd quarter.  Apparently they had nothing to the play for (they were already the #1 seed in the playoffs), while the Jets were playing for everything.  Let them say what they want.  I guess we'll see what the GANG GREEN is really made of this Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Ah, the Great MIDWEST... It's absurd how little the people from the coasts know about the middle of this country.  Growing up on the East Coast and then moving to LA hasn't helped with my knowledge of the midwest, especially of Indiana.  Well, this is what I do know about the Hoosier State...

INDIANA is one of the few states I have not visited.  It's the home to the University of INDIANA HOOSIERS and their storied basketball program.  Does the name Bobby Knight ring a bell?  Also the greatest sports movie ever made, "HOOSIERS" with Gene Hackman, is set in a small town there.  Larry Bird hails from Indiana... French Lick to be exact.  He also went on to attend Indiana State University, appropriately nicknamed the SYCAMORES (I love that mascot), where he took them to the Championship game in the late 70's.  I know Gary, Indiana used to have the highest murder rate in the country, but has since been surpassed by CAMDEN, NJ, and Detroit, Michigan, numerous times.

My friend MILAN is from Indiana.  He's the biggest Indian dude you've ever seen.  Dots, not feathers.  He really is a good guy.  He's out here in LA producing movies.  He carries with him a sweet nickname... "The Hollywood Hindu".  He's also a licensed minister and is available for wedding ceremonies.  Please contact me if you want to get hitched by this maniac and I'll let him know.  I think everyone who meets him says, "There are Indian people in INDIANA?"  Yes morons.  This is AMERICA!  There are different kinds of people everywhere... even in Indiana.

Another great film takes place in Bloomington, Indiana.  It's called "BREAKING AWAY" with Dennis Quaid and Daniel Stern.  It's only fitting I mention this AMAZING movie since it's about a group of underdog young men (CUTTERS) who live in a college town.  The preppy college students give them no respect.  To quiet their critics the "Cutters" enter a bike race versus the "Preps" and everyone else who belittled them along the way.  And against all odds they bring home a VICTORY... earning the respect from their peers, the college students and their families.  No respect.  Sound familiar?

So this weekend should be fun.  I'll be navigating through a new city on my own for a few hours.  I love going to a strange land, especially when I know a few close friends aren't far behind.  My best friend Will is meeting me in INDY on Saturday night for a few pre-game cocktails and by Sunday morning we'll be getting our minds right.  Once again the JETS are HUGE underdogs and will have a chance to make history, silence the critics, and earn the respect of their peers.  I think they have a good chance.  The fans believe... The coaches believe... The players believe... But nobody else does.  And I say Fuck em.  Rock and Roll GANG GREEN!  We're with you all the way!  J-E-T-S!!! Jets! Jets! Jets!

***Tune in on Sunday at 3PM Eastern and 12PM Pacific Standard Time.  Look for me and my buddy Will SCISSOR KICKING Colts fans on the big screen!***

1 comment:

  1. Wait, what team do you like again? I lived In Noblesville for a bit. The homes south of the city are amazing. It's a row of mansions. Ask your buddy to drive you around the area if you have time, he'll know.

    ReplyDelete