Friday, July 24, 2009

I AM A RAY OF SUNSHINE...

Not a NEGATIVE NANCY.  I'm just calling it like I SEE IT... Not how YOU see it.  So to take some of the pressure off before the weekend commences, I will enlighten you with some of the many things I LOVE... whether you like it or not.

1.)  PECAN PIE.  God I love it.  Especially on THANKSGIVING.  There's nothing better than having a big slice of Pecan Pie with a tall glass of milk.  No doubt it will put you in a coma after 14 courses of Thanksgiving dinner, but everybody has the next day off so you should definitely do it.  You can sleep it off.

2.)  HOT GREEN TEA and COFFEE ICE CREAM.  Not together of course, but individually they are both fantastic.  I'm not a coffee drinker, so nothing kicks off my day better than a fresh cup of Green Tea.  That shit is ridiculously revitalizing.  It makes you feel fantastic.  I also enjoy sipping on it while I dine on some SUSHI.  Now Coffee Ice Cream will be the end of me, I swear.  That BEN AND JERRY'S Coffee HEATH Bar Crunch will knock you on your ass it's so good.  I will eat that shit until I have a stomach ache any day of the week.  It's totally worth it.

3.)  SUSHI.  I never feasted on this fantastic food until I was 24 years old.  Nobody in my family ever ate it.  Now I can't get enough of the stuff.  My roomie's Step-Dad owns maybe the best sushi restaurant on the PLANET.  It's called SUSHI YASUDA in New York City on 43rd between 2nd and 3rd.  The place is off the hook.  If you're ever in New York... Hit it up.  I promise you'll leave this place higher that you've ever been in your life.  My recommendations in LA are... HAMA, which is Downtown on 2nd in Little Tokyo and OOMASA, which is the best moderately priced sushi in town... Also located Downtown in Little Tokyo on 1st.  Some sushi eating tips... Sit at the Sushi Bar if you can so you can watch the chef at work.  It's glorious.  Also, don't mix your wasabi with your soy sauce... the chef will think you are an amateur.  If you do that you probably eat a lot of rolls.  Put the wasabi directly on the fish and eat it with your hands.  That's how the Japanese do it, so why not follow along and respect their culture.  I rarely eat rolls.  Only Sushi and Sashimi.  Rolls defeat the purpose of enjoying the natural flavor and cut of the beautiful fish.  Some of my favorites are Halibut, Yellowtail, Red Snapper, Spanish Mackerel, Needle Nose Fish, and Albacore.  If you eat sushi, and haven't had any of these you should have your head examined immediately.

4.)  SCOTTY BUM DOT.  I love this guy.  Believe you me, the dude is hilarious.  He's one of my best buddies from college.  I've stolen his lines a few times on here and I have to give credit where it's due.  So before I make like titties and bounce... "Which one of ya'll white bitches is gonna..."  Thanks Scotty, you can finish that line cause my MOM reads this thing.  You the man.

5.)  COOKING.  I love cheffing it up for friends, family, and myself.  Everyone in my family is an EXCELLENT cook.  My brother is an ANIMAL in the kitchen.  My Mom doctor's up the Italian classics like none other and my Old Man makes the best London Broil and Meat Loaf you've ever tasted.  I love grilling Pork Chops, Portobello Mushrooms, Skirt Steak and a variety of seasoned vegetables.  But my absolute favorite thing to cook is my Mother's Sunday Sauce for Macaroni.  If you're Italian, or from the East Coast you know what I'm talking about... if not, too bad.  Everyone in my family makes some variation of her recipe with their own respective twists.  I use fresh heirloom tomatoes, basil and vidalia onions.  I make a puree with them and add it as I cook the sauce on the stove for about 6 hours.  All while pan frying meatballs, sausage, and baby back ribs that I add to the sauce as soon as they come off the pan.  Then, I either make some baked ziti or the pasta of your choice.  I like Angel Hair... but that's just me.

6.)  READING.  People should read more... including me.  There's nothing like getting your hands on a good BOOK.  A book can make you feel great... feel terrible... feel tired...  Especially when it's sitting on your night-stand and you can't wait to get home from work and read it and pass out in the middle of a page.  I love that.  Some of my favorite books of all time are... THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE by Pat Conroy, HOLLYWOOD ANIMAL by Joe Eszterhas, TIMEQUAKE by Kurt Vonnegut, and of course THE CATCHER IN THE RYE by JD Salinger.

7.)  MY FRIENDS.  I can't live without you guys.  I'd lay down in traffic for most of you, not all, but some.  You just can't beat getting together with a bunch of your friends (especially ones you haven't seen in a while) after a long week of work to have some drinks.  The comedy that comes from those type of days is priceless.  

8.)  WOMEN.  I may not understand them, but I sure do LOVE them.  Tall or short... red, white, or blue... black, yellow or brown... I love you.  You are interesting characters and I will spend my entire life learning as much as I can about you while watching "THE VIEW" (I love Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg) fully comprehending that I will never truly understand you.  But know this... I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU... like the Whitney Houston song from "The Bodyguard" that she ripped off from some country singer.

9.)  RUNNING.  I can't imagine not running... or working out at all.  It's the best stress reliever there is.  Nothing like hitting the road with your own two feet.  A little music in your ears is never frowned upon while partaking in this hobby.  What I like best, is when I'm on my path jogging I somehow always realize there's nothing out there but SPACE AND OPPORTUNITY.  Running can help keep you sane.  Trust me, it's the only reason I'm not posting this blog from a rubber room right now.

10.)  SHOES.  SNEAKERS.  This one is bad.  I'm like Carrie Bradshaw when it comes to kicks.  If I drop dead tonight in my sleep, when the coroner comes to get my body he's going to say, "This little bastard has way too many pairs of shoes."  And if I wasn't already dead, I'd bet my life on it that if he wears a size 10, he's walking out of there with at least 3 pairs.  The thing is, I wear most of them.  And they're not all one kind... I have Nike, Reebok (Classics), Adidas, DC, Etnies, Saucony, Ben Sherman, Jordans, Diadora, Quicksilver, and Converse lining the shelves of my closet.  Variety is the key... especially when you have 50 pairs of sneaks.

11.)  PIZZA.  By far my favorite food.  Any food that's good even when it's bad is obviously AWESOME.  Pizza is always a fall back.  Even frozen pizza is good.  Now for REALLY good pizza, which is incredibly hard to find out here in Cali, you have to hit Brooklyn, New York City, New Jersey, Queens, Long Island and Staten Island.  The best pizza on earth is found in those places.  FACT.  Yes you can get good pizza in Chicago and Philly but nothing beats those other spots.  I know you folks from LA hate this, but the PIZZA here sucks.  There are a few spots that aren't that bad and from those my number 1 recommendation is Joe's Pizza in Santa Monica.  The slices are really good if you get them in the shop.  Delivery is suspect.

So you see, there are a few things out there that I like.  I'm just being HONEST over here... So Choke on it.


3 comments:

  1. you forgot Dr. Bronners "minty butt". I will forever think of you when I see it at Traders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "if you eat sushi and haven't had any of these you should have your head examined immediately"
    hahahahahahaha, i burst out laughing when I read that

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all if you die and that coroner touches your shoes that I know are willed to me, he will need a colleague to come collect his body..

    ReplyDelete