Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I AM A GODFATHER...

Not "THE" GODFATHER, but "A" GODFATHER nonetheless. As of 2:03PM on Tuesday, July 28th, a baby boy was brought into this world by two of the finest people on the planet. His name is John Chase Tompkins. My best buddy's beautiful wife went through 20 hours of labor before the little champ spontaneously combusted... tipping the scales at a slim fighting weight of 6 pounds, 12 ounces.

I've always said I would be prepared for this moment. The moment in which one of my BEST friends had a child and decided to make me a permanent part of his or her life. I'll have to admit, I was not. Obviously I've known they were expecting a child for quite some time and when they asked me to be the Godfather I was speechless... Honored. I felt touched that somebody thought of me in such high regard. I couldn't wait for the time to come when I would be able to spoil the little guy rotten... And that time has come.

I knew I wouldn't be the first of my friends to have a child. I knew I would be one of the last to be married. What I didn't realize, was that I would be one of the first to be a GODFATHER. Holding this title is a very serious responsibility. Does anyone really know what it means to be a God Parent? It means that if God forbid anything happened to my beloved friends, I would be first in line to look after the little chap.

I have to tell you; I get choked up just thinking about it. I can't wait to hold him. I can't wait to teach him about music, sports, movies, and GIRLS. I can't wait to do my Ray Liotta impersonation from "GOODFELLAS" and have the kid look at me like I'm a maniac. It's going to be awesome.

One thing I have to say about babies, is that they bring out the best in MOST people. It doesn't matter how tough you are, cause as soon as you hold a baby you immediately turn into a giant fluff of cotton candy. You become Mr. Softy. It's amazing and hilarious. One second you're walking around cursing, acting like an idiot and then suddenly there's a baby in your hands and you're bopping around, making baby talk and being all sweet. I love it.

I'm so happy for my friends... And even happier for that little boy. He is going to have the best parents in the WHOLE world. A life of love and joy awaits him. I just can't wait until he's old enough to realize it.

So now that I hold this title... I need to get my SHIT together... excuse me STUFF... I'm not allowed to curse in front of the baby. This is somewhat of an AWAKENING for me. It's a reality check. I need to hurry up and get cracking... actually make something of myself. This kid can't have a BUM for a Godfather. I won't let that happen.

My God Parents are fantastic people... Especially my Godmother. She is my Mom's best friend from childhood. She was always there for me when I was a kid. When I was sick in grade school and my Mom couldn't leave work to come get me (although she would have), I called Aunt Sandy. She would be there in an instant. She was unbelievable. We spent many Holidays with her family. Christmas Eve and New Years Eve were the best. She threw the best parties. She always kept her family together. It was a great example to see even at a young age. She was the best host. She loved her kids like no other and always treated us like we were a part of HER family. She was great to me... still is. And for that I will be forever grateful. Thanks Aunt San... you're the world's greatest Godmother. I just hope I can do as good as you did with my Godson.

So from this day forth, I promise to be a better man. If not for my own sake, for my Godson's. I will make sure that I know him completely. I will make sure I am always a part of his life. I will be there through thick and thin... And set the best example that I possibly can for the little whipper snapper. I can't wait to buy him a little JETS jersey.

This entry goes out to WILL and MANDY... My best friends. My FAMILY. I admire you guys a great deal. You're my idols. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby boy. I wish the 3 of you health and happiness during the fun days that lie ahead. I LOVE YOU GUYS.

1 comment: