Monday, April 27, 2009

I AM LIVING MY LIFE...

the way I want to live it.  I couldn't always say that.  Could you?  I used to subscribe to notion that doing what others expected of me and staying close to my ROOTS were the keys.  But the keys to what?  Happiness?  Success?  Sanity?  Probably not.

I grew up in a town that was hard to leave.  People were very close to their friends and FAMILY.  Everybody always talked about leaving, but never actually did.  It was as if nobody loved it there, but everyone was AFRAID to leave.  I, on the other hand, actually did love it there... and still do.  

Although my bond with this place was very strong, I knew I had to leave at a very young age.  It just wasn't something that you shared with everyone.  I didn't have the guts to tell my PARENTS I wanted to escape even though it had nothing to do with them.  I would have been mortified if I had told my big BROTHER I'd rather book a guest spot on "How I Met Your Mother" instead of us coaching at NC State together (although that would have been pretty cool too).

If I tried to tell people that I was moving to California when I was young, they would have laughed.  If I would have told them I wanted to be a writer, or an actor, they would have said, "It's good to have dreams."  But if I would have wanted to be a cop or a teacher everyone would've said, "Now those are good jobs."

Hard working people think any job that gives you insurance and a steady paycheck is a good job.  And you know what, it's not their fault... they don't know any better.  Anyhow, can you blame them?  Waiting tables until you sell your first script at 40 sounds like a nightmare for a parent and ME.  And some of these blue collar professions are great.  They're respectable, honest jobs.  But, what about the ARTS? 

In my experience of middle class America people don't believe in the arts.  Your 3rd grade teacher might have, but the other members of the PTA will strongly disagree.  They want you to focus on Reading, Geography, Science, and Arithmetic.  These subjects are important too, but so are music, dancing, acting, and drawing.  The arts give us this sense of humility that you just can't get from knowing the CAPITOLS of all 50 states (which I know by the way).  

I remember one time in Middle School getting in trouble for clowning around in class.  The teacher said to me, "You're a real comedian, huh?"  "Yes" I replied.  "Save it for the big screen pal" he said.  I said, "Maybe I will."  As he walked away he said, "that's some fantasy world you live in my friend."  And I thought... I'm not your fucking friend and what a great idea... the big screen.  I'll show that DICK.

As I watched a good friend of mine guest STAR on a popular show on NBC this evening, I realized... this is it man.  This is the path I chose.  It's going to be hard, but FUCK it.  I know if I had stayed on my original path to be a teacher and a coach I would have been at home watching that same show thinking "this could be me."  Instead I watched my friend proudly and admirably and felt even closer to where I want to be.

I know where I am. I know where I come from.  I know my family and love them very much.  I know I miss them everyday.  I know they thought it was strange when I wanted to leave, but in a way I was doing it for THEM, not just ME.  I've never forgotten what they've done for me and I want them to know I will be taking my ROOTS with me forever.  

I never thought working in film or becoming a writer were real options.  Those professions were only obtainable in a fantasy world.  A world in which I now live.  Thanks teach.

1 comment: